There are many persona development methodologies. Yer, persona creation tends to involve five general steps, which are:
- Identify: Categorize the population of customers, users, or audience members
- Collect: Gather data about the identified populations specifically concerning behaviors (or goals, pain points, etc.) and demographics. (Data can be gathered through persona interviews or automatically.)
- Segment: Group the population into unique segments based on unique behaviors, goals, pain points, etc.
- Generate: Produce identifiable complete segments with combined behavioral and demographic data
- Enrich: Augment each complete segment with individual characteristics, such as photo, name, etc. to create a complete persona profile for each segment. The set of persona profiles that represents the population is the end product of the process.
Read our persona research for more in-depth knowledge on persona development.
Jung, S., An, J., Kwak, H., Ahmad, M., Nielsen, L., and Jansen, B. J. (2017) Persona Generation from Aggregated Social Media Data. ACM Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems 2017 (CHI2017). Denver, Colorado. p. 1748-1755. 6-11 May